Sunday 11 March 2012

Closet Overhaul - Step 1

Did you know you can break your closet? Well believe it or not, I managed to do so the other day. First a bit of background on this. In my current house I don't have an actual closet, I have a wardrobe from Ikea. Anyways, I'm pretty lazy about putting my clothes away, they tend to sit in the laundry basket clean for a while before I actually put them away. Well, I finally decided to get it all put away, and about 1/2 way through the basket, my closet was jammed! I thought I could fit more in there, so I just kept at it. This was a dumb move! I managed to pop the bar right off of the wardrobe from having too much weight on it. All this, and probably only half my clothes had been hung!


So today is the day! After reading such blogs as Here and Now where the lovely Jessica is only wearing 30 pieces from her wardrobe for 30 days, and Kendi Everyday who took over her closet and made it more functional. I have decided I really need to get on this. I need to reassess what pieces I have and love, and toss everything else! My friend K is coming by today to help me through this (thank you!), I have a feeling I'm going to be overwhelmed at the size of this project so she will be here to help me stay on track.


My goal is to downsize, keep the pieces I love and any "questionables" will be stored away for a month. If I don't think about it within a month I probably don't need it! I would like to evolve my style to a classic look. And begin to invest in fewer pieces, but of higher quality. I seem to have a lot of 'disposable clothing' and it's time to move on.


I will update the process as I get going on it today. Hopefully I will have a more functional closet at the end of this. And a big bag for donation or swapping.


How's your closet doing?


Cheers!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I hope I was actually helpful today. It's a small step but it's a start! I really like the idea of evolving to a classic look and investing in higher quality pieces. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Figured out the comments :)
      You were very helpful! Now step two is to organize :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! I read each and every comment received.